What challenges do families in poverty face?
This simulation is designed to help audiences experience and understand what it is like to survive month to month as a family with low income. It is a simulation, not a game.
This 2 1/2-hour model is designed for 40-80 participants who are assigned roles as families facing different poverty obstacles: some are newly unemployed, some are experiencing homelessness, others are senior citizens receiving disability benefits. The task of each “family” is to provide for basic necessities during the course of four 15-minute “weeks.”
It includes an introduction and briefing, the actual simulation exercise, and a debriefing period in which participants explore what they have learned.
Requirements to Host a Simulation:
- Cover facilitators’ costs (mileage, hotel, meals)
- Recruit at least 40 participants (80 max)
- Recruit at least 24 volunteers for the simulation
- Secure space (approx. 2500-3000 sq ft)
- Arrange for customized room set-up (map will be provided)
- Provide volunteers with a modest stipend for their work
There is a fee to host a simulation.
- For more info, contact Leah at email@example.com